Ba Be is Vietnam’s largest natural lake and the heart of Ba Be National Park. The park and the surrounding area is limestone country, so lakes, waterfalls, caves and unusual rock formations abound. The whole area is richly forested and is home to many ethnic minority communities. Ba Be National Park has been recognized as a Natural World Heritage Site by UNESCO. This tour offers you a fun adventure at a comfortable pace with plenty of time to enjoy the magnificent surroundings.
- Jungle trek inside Ba Be National Park and walk through river
- Explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes of Ba Be
- Cross Pelu Stream and navigate some steep terrain
- Visit some local family of H’Mong ethnic people
- Picnic lunch with traditional food is prepared by the local people on day 1 & lunch within a pictures – perfect riverside restaurant on day 2
- Visit the stilt houses and school of the Dzao people
- Do the boat trip on Nang river
- Visit the legend An Ma temple in the middle of Ba Be Lake
- Discover a magnificent Puong Cave in Ba Be National Park system
- Swim in a pretty natural freshwater lake
3 days 2 night
Level of difficulty:
20 – 25km trek
Percentage of trekking:
Jungle 60%, trail 40%
150m – 600m
Small group tour:
08:00 AM at Ba Be Tourism Centre office
05:00 PM at Ba Be Tourism Centre office
Day 1: Ba Be National Park sightseeing tour (L, D)
At 7:30am, your local guide will pick you up from your hotel or meet you at Mr Linh Adventures - Ba Be office in Bo Lu before starting an exciting day in Ba Be National Park. Firstly, we drive to Pac Ngoi, a village of the Tay people where stilt houses are built in the traditional style. You walk through the village to learn about the life of the people in the Ba Be lake area. Drive further to Hua Ma cave, through the field, this is a dry cave with numerous stalactites like a forest of rocks, but to conquer this cave, you have to climb more than 300 steps. A beautiful valley behind the mountains is Na Slai village where there is another Tay village and a high waterfall falls from the top of the mountain. You can swim in this waterfall and have lunch in a traditional local restaurant here. After luch, you will take a walk to visit some local house, tonight we will stay overnight here.
Day 2: Tham Phay cave expedition (B, L, D)
After berakfast, You'll reach Tham Phay Cave, the hike starting with a steep uphill, leading into the forest. Some rock at the top, and then a similar slope before the trail fades and you enter the valley. Turning west of the trail is a large patch of rock for you to find your way through, with the help and direction of your guide and safety team. The precarious entrance is at the end of the forest. Enjoy some snacks before starting to explore the cave.
Tham Phay Cave
is a beautiful stream cave with two underground river tributaries, where you will experience narrow passages, craggy mountains and some deep pools with very nice photo opportunities. Plants and algae cover many calcite formations. Going deeper into the cave, you will find many unusual features of the cave such as the ceiling dome and many layers of rock, giving the walls a striking appearance. You will spend about five hours exploring this 5km deep river cave, which geologists have not discovered so far. Of course, we will provide you with the necessary equipment, such as helmets and powerful headlights. The cave expands considerably as you go through the original entrance and offers some great opportunities for excellent photos.
Enjoy a few snacks before continuing the journey to explore the 2nd path of the cave system possesses miraculous stalagmites millions of years old, dangerous sinkholes and heat flows at the bottom .
Leaving Tham Phay, you will return to the cave entrance and travel to Coc Toc village, to night you will stay overnight at Mr Linh's Homestay
- a beautiful traditional house on stilts.
Day 3: Boat tour on Ba Be lake (B, L)
After breakfast at the homestay, you will set out on foot to Bo Lu Harbour. From here you will take a three-hour boat trip, touring peacefully around the lake. This is a great time to jump into the water for a swim to cool off or just relax on the boat. The trip will take you along the slow flowing river, giving you gorgeous views of the dramatic mountains, valleys, and natural caves. There is also a good opportunity here for some bird and butterfly spotting - the national park is home to a wonderful diversity of flora and fauna. The boat will then take you through the tunnel of Puong Cave
, with its spectacular array of stalactites and stalagmites. You may also get the chance to see some bats here, as the cave is home to a colony of thousands. You will continue down the Nang River
, the boatman will stop at a riverside to visit a Tay ethnic village, a walking tour through the village to see how people here work on the fields. Reaching Dau Dang Waterfall
, we have lunch at a nearby riverside village restaurant. Returning to Ba Be Lake
, you will visit An Ma Temple
and then take a short trek through the jungle and reach the harbour. If you still have energy, you can do a kayaking tour. Ends tour.
- Accomodation overnight at Homestay
- Experienced local English speaking guide.
- Kayak, dry bags, sports equipment and life jackets
- Meals as stated in the itinerary (B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner)
- All sightseeing tickets.
- No extra charge after confirmation
- 24/7 hotline support guaranteed
Tham Pahy cave expedition:
- Safety and caving equipment: caving helmets, caving headlights, gloves
- Basic canvas hiking boots (only if you don't have your own) sizes 36 - 46
- Water and picnic lunch
- Professional English speaking guide and safety assistant
- Porters to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry storage case for small phones and cameras (limited quantities for larger cameras)
- Water filter (only used by guide and porter)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western-style toilet at lunch spot
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (applicable to instructors and porters only)
- Dry box prepared in case of high water level
- Safe storage at Mr Linh Adventures - Ba Be Headquarters to store your luggage that you won't take with you when you go backpacking
What to take:
+ Pack essentials, including light comfortable clothes suitable for outdoor activities, comfortable walking shoes. Take a small day pack for hiking and trekking.
+ It is essential to bring your passport on this trip. We also recommend packing: insect repellent, sun cream, raincoat and sun hat...
Have a good journey!