Tham Phay Cave expedition and kayaking on Ba Be Lake is an incredible 2-day tour for the adventurous. Tham Phay Cave is a big new discovery in the North, another great reason to visit Ba Be National Park, a limestone karst area surrounded by breathtaking lakes. This cave is an underground river system that has yet to be documented by geologists.
- Jungle trek inside Ba Be National Park and walk through river
- Explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes of Ba Be
- Expedition water river cave – 3km
- Be watching the most beautiful stalactites blocks are formed naturally
- Swim in a pretty natural freshwater cave
- Lunch with traditional food is prepared by the local people
- Do the kayaking & boat trip on Ba Be Lake & Nang river
- Visit the legend An Ma temple in the middle of Ba Be Lake
2 days 1 night
Level of difficulty:
20 – 25km trek
Percentage of trekking:
Jungle 60%, trail 40%
150m – 600m
Small group tour:
08:00 AM at Ba Be Tourism Centre office
05:00 PM at Ba Be Tourism Centre office
$245 / person
Day 1: Tham, Phay cave expedition (L, D)
07:00 - 07:30 Pick up to Mr Linh Adventures - Ba Be office at Nam Mau. Brief introduction and preparation are here.
After a thirty-minute drive, you'll reach Tham Phay Cave
, the hike starting with a steep uphill, leading into the forest. Some rock at the top, and then a similar slope before the trail fades and you enter the valley. Turning west of the trail is a large patch of rock for you to find your way through, with the help and direction of your guide and safety team. The precarious entrance is at the end of the forest. Enjoy some snacks before starting to explore the cave.
Tham Phay Cave
is a beautiful stream cave with two underground river tributaries, where you will experience narrow passages, craggy mountains and some deep pools with very nice photo opportunities. Plants and algae cover many calcite formations. Going deeper into the cave, you will find many unusual features of the cave such as the ceiling dome and many layers of rock, giving the walls a striking appearance. You will spend about five hours exploring this 5km deep river cave, which geologists have not discovered so far. Of course, we will provide you with the necessary equipment, such as helmets and powerful headlights. The cave expands considerably as you go through the original entrance and offers some great opportunities for excellent photos.
Enjoy a few snacks before continuing the journey to explore the 2nd path of the cave system possesses miraculous stalagmites millions of years old, dangerous sinkholes and heat flows at the bottom .
Leaving Tham Phay, you will return to the cave entrance and return to Ba Be lake for dinner and overnight at Mr Linh's Homestay
Day 2: Kayaking On Ba Be Lake (B, L)
7:30am, berakfast at your homestay before starting your exciting day on Ba Be Lake in Ba Be National Park. Your guide will help you to learn how to paddle a kayak on lakes and rivers, take the dry bags, sports equipment and life jackets... Kayaking along the lakeside past the islands is the most enjoyable experience, continuing to travel down the Nang River to see Dau Dang Waterfall before having lunch at a nearby riverside village restaurant. We can return to Ba Be Lake by motorboat or by a canoe. Swimming is available here. Before finishing our trip for today, we will pay a visit to An Ma temple - the sacred place of the Tay people then trek through the jungle to reach the observation hut for a panorama view of Ba Be lake. End tour..
- Safety and caving equipment: caving helmets, caving headlights, gloves
- Basic canvas hiking boots (only if you don't have your own) sizes 36 - 46
- Water and picnic lunchs, dinner and homestay
- Professional English speaking guide and safety assistant
- Porters to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry storage case for small phones and cameras (limited quantities for larger cameras)
- Water filter (only used by guide and porter)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western-style toilet at lunch spot
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (applicable to instructors and porters only)
- Dry box prepared in case of high water level
- Safe storage at Mr Linh Adventures - Ba Be Headquarters to store your luggage that you won't take with you when you go backpacking
What to take:
+ 1 long pants (easy to dry) and 1 long sleeve shirt to wear during the trip (quick dry)
+ 1 pair of hiking boots / shoes - difficult terrain, good shoes are required
+ 1 change of clothes after the tour
+ 1 pair of thick calf-length woven socks (not ankle socks!)
+ Medium sized backpack (25 L) for your water bottle, personal belongings and cave helmet provided
+ Personal belongings: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera
Have a good journey!